Monday, February 6, 2012

Peanutty Pumpkin Stew

                Peanutty Pumpkin Stew
                              Makes 6 large servings
                              (378 calories on its own)
          (596 calories when paired with 1 cup of brown rice)

Last week I found a can of pumpkin in my cupboard but didn't know what to do with it. Google to the rescue! I found this Indian style recipe but added a little cayenne to give it a little extra kick. It turned out so good! The pumpkin and the peanut butter are the main attraction for sure in this recipe. I am definitely making this again soon!


1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 potato, cubed
2 garlic cloves, minced 
1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (16 oz) solid pack pumpkin
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 Tbs soy sauce
2 tsp hot/mild curry powder
2 cups vegetable stock
1.5 cups cooked or 15.5 oz kidney beans drained and rinsed
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
1/2 tsp cayenne (or more depending on how spicy you like it)
1 cup thawed peas
1/4 cup chopped peanuts

 1. Saute onions, garlic, carrots and potato in a large pot. Cover and cook until softened.

2. Stir in tomatoes, pumpkin, peanut butter, soy sauce, curry powder, cayenne and stock, stirring after each addition. Add beans and chilies stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.

3. Shortly before serving stir in peas. Garnish with chopped peanuts.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That pumpkin stew looks amazing!!

    Also, you asked who won the chocolate giveaway. I announced on the blog last Thursday that LP of the Skimming the Ocean blog was the lucky random winner. Good luck with the Good Belly giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, I am a pumpkin fanatic. I've never heard of using it like this, but I will be writing this recipe down for a cold day meal. Looks good and I would definitely add some spice too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it again tonight. This recipe makes A TON of food. It filled up my biggest tuperware container. I like mine spicy too this time I added about 3 teaspoons of cayenne for that extra nose watering kick lol!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a guest click on Name/Url under the Comment As button. You can leave the Url blank if you want.