Makes 2 dozen Cookies (130 calories per cookie)
When I was looking at reviews for the recipes in "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookies Jar". I noticed that this recipe was like the TOP reviewed recipe in the whole book! I had to find a chocolate cookie to represent mud pie for an event ( has to do with a Buddhist parable). These were the perfect choice! They came out exactly like the picture in the cookbook and were so easy to make. I love how they crack on the top and the cinnamon-sugar coating is so pretty. Don't worry too much about the cayenne kick. It adds a really nice depth plus it's more like the kick in a ginger snap. There is a nice balance of spice and chocolate.
For the topping:
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the cookies:
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons almond milk (Or your preferred non-dairy milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon chocolate extract (or more vanilla extract if you have no chocolate)
1 2/3 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix the topping ingredients together on a flat plate. Set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, use a fork to vigorously mix together oil, sugar, syrup, and milk. Mix in extracts.
Sift in remaining ingredients, stirring as you add them. Once all ingredients are added mix until you’ve got a pliable dough.
4. Roll dough into walnut sized balls. Pat into the sugar topping to flatten into roughly 2 inch discs. Transfer to baking sheet, sugar side up, at least 2 inches apart (they do spread). This should be easy as the the bottom of the cookies should just stick to your fingers so you can just flip them over onto the baking sheet.
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, they should be a bit spread and crackly on top. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Here is a video of Isa Chandra Moskowitz (vegan genius) showing how to make these scrumptious treats.