Friday, November 11, 2011

Chapchae = yum.

Ok so today I didn't work out ( I know what a slacker). When my boyfriend went to work this morning instead of going to the gym I went back to bed after breakfast. I just felt so tired. Well if I at least go to the gym tomorrow then I will have gone to the gym 5 days this week. I went over my calories a little in the middle of this week so we will see how this next weigh in turns out.

When I woke up I went to my work to get my check and then went grocery shopping at the local Asian market to buy ingredients for chapchae. When I got home I was so syked to make it because I hadn't made that recipe in a while. Just when I was about to the power went out! When my boyfriend came home from work we walked to the Albertson's to find something to make for dinner that didn't require re-heating. We decided to have a big salad with jalapeno bread and butter on the side. It doesn't sound like a high calorie meal but It was over 1,000 calories for dinner! Good thing I didn't have lunch today! Right in the middle of eating our high calorie cold dinner the power came back on! I decided to make chapchae anyways to box up for dinner for the next few days. Anyways the good thing about today is that I learned that I have 40 hours in the bakery next week!

Here's the recipe....

                         Chapchae with Fried Tofu
                         Makes 4 large servings.
                                  (About 535 calories) 

This recipe is so good! I like to serve mine with a little side of kimchi. Kimchi is good but it does hike up your sodium level!

  • 8 oz mung bean or sweet potato noodles (might be called cellophane or glass noodles or Chinese vermicelli)
  • 1 sweet onion, sliced into thin strips
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 pound baby spinach, pre-sauted until soft
  • 2 carrots, julienned
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped Napa cabbage
  • 5 mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 3 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 6 oz. pre-fried tofu.
  • Sesame seeds (try toasted)
  • Black pepper

  1. Soak noodles in hot water for about 20-30 minutes. Then drain. Set aside.

  2. In a large pan or wok over medium heat, heat vegetable (or olive) oil and 1 Tbsp sesame oil.

  3. Add onion slices and garlic and sauté for about 1 minute.

  4. Add rest of vegetables and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables are half-cooked and still a bit crispy.

  5. Turn heat to low and add cooked noodles, tofu, soy sauce, sugar, and the remaining sesame oil.

  6. Mix to combine and cook for another 2 minutes.

  7. Add salt or more soy sauce if needed.

  8. When finished add a few shakes of sesame seeds and a few pinches of black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a guest click on Name/Url under the Comment As button. You can leave the Url blank if you want.