Saturday, September 10, 2011

Tofu sloppy joes recipe and calorie count.

                             Tofu Sloppy Joes 




                  Fills 6 large Hamburger buns
          (225 calories + whatever bun you use)

These sloppy jo's are the best! I had it for dinner tonight. I like how they aren't all greasy like sloppy joes you normally might have. I got this recipe from a book called "101 Things To Do With Tofu". I revised it a bit because I like extra seasonings. Remember to buy the tofu and freeze it ahead of time. Freezing and thawing tofu makes it tough and crumbly (like mock ground beef). After it's frozen I'll just leave in on the counter to thaw over night to make sure it's ready for the next day.
   
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/4 cup butter or margarine ( I used Earth Balance)
14 oz. extra firm tofu ( frozen and thawed)
(1) 6 oz. can tomato paste
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup water
2 tsp onion powder
2-4 tsp Tabasco sauce (4 If you like it SPICY)
2 Tbsp chili powder
           +6 large hamburger buns for serving

    In a large frying pan, saute onion and bell pepper in butter over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Press tofu with paper towels until most of the moisture is out. Crumble into pan with the onion and bell pepper, cooking another 5 minutes and stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 8-10 minutes more, stirring constantly to remove moisture. Serve over buns. Enjoy.



     Here is my calorie count for today. I did really good! Even if I did sneak in some ice cream. I'm glad I went to grocery outlet... its hard to resist ice cream when It's only $1.99.





    I have been looking at pics of me lately comparing them to before and dang my arms are skinny! This is one of me a couple days ago. I wasn't really planning on posting it because I look kinda funny...o'well. Excuse the tiredness and the unkempt hair. I was up late blogging.


    Well good night my peeps! Now that I'm full from dinner I think it's time for bed.

    3 comments:

    1. Great job! You are doing fantastic, such an inspiration. I actually just started a blog of my own to keep me honest. I was just wondering how you posted the caloriecount to your blog?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Cool! Thanks! Give me the link to your blog so I can check it out. I Just used the Print Screen button on my keyboard. It makes a copy of a webpage. Then I go to paint and click "Paste". Then I re-size it using paint and save the image.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Never Mind I found your blog and I'm following it!

      ReplyDelete

    If you are a guest click on Name/Url under the Comment As button. You can leave the Url blank if you want.